CASH More Tax Information

More Tax Information

Tax Web Sites:
IRS website for general information
New York State Forms and Publications
Pennsylvania Forms and Publications

Getting a transcript or copy of a prior year tax return:
Unfortunately, the CA$H office is unable to provide this service. You will need to get a replacement copy directly from the IRS or state as they can best confirm your identity, and help reduce identity theft. Transcripts are free and you can get them for the current year and the past three years.

A tax return transcript shows most line items from the tax return you originally filed. It also includes items from any accompanying forms and schedules you filed. It does not reflect any changes made after you filed your original return.

To request your IRS Federal transcript:

  • To order a transcript online and have it sent electronically, use the IRS Get Transcript tool, simply click the "Get Transcript Online" button.
  • To order a transcript online and have it delivered by mail, use the IRS Get Transcript tool, simply click the "Get Transcript by Mail" button.
  • To order by phone, call 800-908-9946 and follow the prompts

To get a copy of your New York State return: 

Need to amend your tax return?
To claim a refund, you generally must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original tax return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Normal processing time for amended returns is 8 to 12 weeks. If you think that you need to amend your return, review IRS Amended Return 1040X Tips and utilize Form 1040X or call (800) TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Need a copy of your W2?
If you lost or never received your W2, call the IRS at this number: (800) 829-0922. If the IRS does not have the information, an IRS representative will send a formal request to your employer to provide the W2 within 10 days.

Taxpayer Advocate Services: Helping You Resolve Tax Problems

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers who are experiencing unresolved federal tax problems. You may be eligible for our help if you've tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or you believe an IRS procedure just isn't working as it should.

Call toll-free at (877) 777-4778

New York State
Having difficulty resolving a tax issue through regular channels at the Department of Taxation and Finance? As an independent organization within the department, the Office of the New York State Taxpayer Rights Advocate is committed to helping New York State taxpayers by balancing taxpayer assistance against enforcement efforts.

How to request information assistance:

  • Call (518) 530-HELP (4357); OR
  • Fax completed Form DTF-911 to (518) 435-8532 or mail it to:
    New York State Department of Taxation and Finance
    Office of the Taxpayer Rights Advocate
    W. A. Harriman Campus, Building 9
    Albany, New York 12227

Identity Theft

IRS will Provide Copies of Returns to Victims of Identity Theft

IRS has agreed to provide victims of identity theft with copies of the fraudulent tax returns filed using their personal and financial information. Prior to this change, victims were notified that some or all of their information had been used to file fraudulent returns but no further information was made available. That left some taxpayers concerned about the amount of information that third parties had about their personal and financial details.

If a taxpayer who is a victim of Identity Theft wants a copy of the fraudulent return filed against them, it can be provided. They need to call 1- 800-829-1040 and request a copy of the ID Theft return. Redacted returns are necessary because multiple Social Security numbers could be on a single tax return. Releasing tax returns which have multiple Social Security numbers prior to redaction could compromise someone else’s identity.